7.1 All sanctions determined by the Academic Integrity Committee shall remain in place during the appeals process. All exceptions to this policy shall be at the discretion of the Dean or his/her designee.
Grounds for Appeal. The charged student may appeal the decision Academic Integrity Committee to the Faculty Council on any or all of the following grounds:
- That deviations from procedural rules significantly prejudiced the findings of the College Committee;
- That there is new evidence, which was not available at the time of the hearing and which would significantly impact the finding of the original hearing.
- That the sanctions are inappropriate or too harsh in relation to the offense.
Notice of Appeal. A student appealing the finding of the Academic Integrity Committee must notify the Office of Academic Affairs in writing no later than five (5) business days after the receipt of the letter indicating the findings of the Academic Integrity Committee. The student should set forth the specific ground(s) of the appeal. The Office of Academic Affairs will notify all relevant parties, including the Chair of the Faculty Council, regarding the appeal within five (5) business days and will compose a response memorandum.
Consideration of Appeal. Faculty Council shall meet to consider the matter of appeal within fifteen (15) business days of receiving the appeal. Faculty Council shall issue a written decision that either:
- The decision of the Academic Integrity Committee has been affirmed in its entirety; or
- The case is remanded to the Academic Integrity Committee with a clear statement of specific reasons for further proceedings and with directives to attend to procedural errors or new evidence.
The Chair of the Faculty Council, or his/her designee, shall send copies of the written decision to the appealing student and the Office of Academic Affairs within five (5) business days (barring exigent circumstances) of the Council meeting. The Office of Academic Affairs will forward copies to the appropriate parties within five (5) business days (barring exigent circumstances).